At-home and professional TMJ disorder treatment options for Boulder, Colorado area patients
Dr. Ania Mohelicki of Boulder, Colorado is a dental professional in the community that works with patients who are dealing with a variety of dental concerns. This includes patients who have been diagnosed with temporomandibular joint disorder, sometimes referred to as TMJ disorder or TMD.
What is TMJ disorder/TMD?
The temporomandibular joint is an important joint in the mouth. This is the jaw joint that connects the upper and lower jaw together. It is responsible for helping patients eat, speak, yawn, and laugh. If the joint becomes problematic, patients often experience a wide range of symptoms that may impact their day-to-day lives. These include:
- Pain and discomfort around the joint
- Popping and locking of the jaw joint
- Ear pain, neck pain, and shoulder pain
- Inflammation of the joint and surrounding tissues
- Clicking of the jaw joint while chewing food
- Chronic headaches and migraines
What can be done to treat and address the complications associated with TMJ disorder?
- At-home options for addressing TMJ disorder – some ways patients can help alleviate concerns of the TMJ joint and TMD include the use of over-the-counter medications for pain and inflammation, heat and cold therapy, and a diet that is comprised of softer foods that don’t irritate already sore joints.
- Professorial treatment options for TMJ disorder – in some instances, patients often need the assistance of a dental professional to address their pain and discomfort. Professional options for treatment may include pain medication injections, the use of prescription medications for help with inflammation, the use of a night guard or other oral appliance to align the jaw, and in some cases, dental or orthodontic work to address the alignment of the teeth and bite. During an evaluation with Dr. Ania Mohelicki, patients will find out if they can benefit from either at-home lifestyle changes or professional treatment options.
Call Dr. Ania Mohelicki today
If you are interested in learning more about your temporomandibular joint or are struggling with problems, it is time to connect with Dr. Ania Mohelicki and her team by calling 303-443-0998 and scheduling a visit at 2919 Valmont Road, Suite #106 in Boulder, Colorado.