Why are routine dental cleanings important?
Professional dental cleanings are just one part of good oral health and wellness. Dr. Ania Mohelicki and her team often hear patients ask, “why are these routine cleanings important?” She can help you understand why prophylaxis, or professional cleanings, are essential to keeping the smile healthy for life!
Why are professional dental cleanings important?
Professional dental cleanings are important for several reasons.
- Plaque and tartar removal. During professional cleanings, the dental hygienist will remove plaque and tartar that can build up on teeth over time. Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that forms on teeth, and tartar is hardened plaque. If plaque and tartar are not removed, they can cause tooth decay and gum disease.
- Preventative measures. Second, professional dental cleanings can help to prevent these problems from developing in the first place. By removing plaque and tartar, professional dental cleanings make it harder for these substances to damage teeth and gums.
- Early detection of common dental conditions. With professional cleanings and evaluations, our dental team can help in detecting possible problems early on. Our dental professionals can spot potential issues, such as cavities or gum disease, during cleaning and recommend treatment before the problem gets worse.
- Reducing stains. Over time, coffee, tea, and other dark-colored beverages can stain teeth. Professional dental cleanings can help to restore teeth to their natural color.
- Fresher breath. Finally, professional dental cleanings can help to freshen your breath. Plaque and tartar can cause bad breath, but by removing these substances from teeth, professional dental cleanings can help improve a person’s breath.
How often should I visit the dentist for cleanings and evaluations?
The American Dental Association has always recommended that patients of all ages visit the dentist at least twice a year or every six months. If problems arise between appointments, such as pain or bleeding, you should schedule an appointment with your dentist to investigate the problem and provide treatment.
How do I set up a dental cleaning?
If you reside in the Boulder, CO area and are ready to work with a dentist in your community that can provide a thorough cleaning and extensive evaluation for better oral health and wellness, we encourage you to call our office at 303-872-9940. Dr. Ania Mohelicki and her team are here to help!