Why You Should Protect Your Teeth With Mouthguards
Our teeth are meant to last a lifetime, but when we face injury or trauma to our mouths sometimes that’s not the case. That’s why we recommend you take preventative measures to keep your teeth safe when you’re doing things like playing rough contact sports or if you grind your teeth at night – which means mouthguards.
Protecting your teeth is important. Whether it’s during an athletic event or while you’re sleeping, you should take the appropriate steps to make sure you’re guarding your teeth at all costs. Let’s look at two scenarios and how they could’ve been prevented:
- Scenario 1: You’re playing a sport and having fun, but before you know it a ball hits you right in the mouth and chips a tooth. What could you have done to prevent this? One word: mouthguard! These important devices can help prevent chipped or broken teeth and can also help keep teeth from getting knocked out.
- Scenario 2: You’ve started getting jaw and tooth pain while you’re sleeping. You realize you’ve been grinding your teeth down, losing some of your tooth structure and even affecting your gums. How could this have been stopped? By using a night guard!
If you’re an athlete, you need to look into getting a mouthguard. Mouthguards for athletes are essential in making sure the integrity of the mouth in maintained throughout their practices and games. More than 5 million teeth are injured each year due to sports injuries and trauma. In some of these cases, it was directly attributed to not wearing a mouthguard.
A mouthguard will help protect your smile. It will help prevent your teeth from injuries, like something that were to happen during sports. These guards help protect your entire mouth – from your gums, lips, teeth, and everything in between. You have more than one option when it comes to getting a mouthguard, so it’s important to do your research and know what would be best for you or your children.
There are several different types of mouthguards that you can choose from, these include:
- Stock mouth protectors – this is the least expensive choice. These can be worn by anyone, and can be found in your local drugstore. However, we don’t recommend these as they are a one-size-fits-all and don’t provide much protection because of it’s ill-fitting nature.
- Boil and bite protectors – this option is similar to stock mouth protectors. Rather than finding these in drugstores, you’ll have to stop by your nearest sporting good shop. Boil and bite protectors will be fitted to your mouth by you placing it in hot water (boiling) and then biting it to have it fit your teeth. They’re better than stock protectors in most cases, but this still isn’t the best option.
- Custom-fitted protectors – also known as the agility guard, this is our #1 pick! When you come to see us for a mouthguard, Dr. Ania will take a mold of your teeth to form a completely custom mouthguard for you. This will fit your teeth perfectly and provide you with maximum protection you’re looking for. Your mouth will be protected, and the best part? It’s the same agility guard that some of the top athletes in the world use. Wouldn’t you want to use what the pros use? You can with Dr. Ania!
If you wake up with pain in your jaw or face, it could be because you’re grinding your teeth at night. This is a very common thing that affects millions of Americans. When you clench your teeth at night, you’re putting so much pressure on your teeth that results in sore jaw muscles, tooth pain and damage, and more. According to sleepfoundation.org, it’s estimated that 8% of adults grind their teeth at night.
Much like with the agility guard for athletes, we can custom-make you a night guard to sleep with that will help protect your teeth when you grind them together. We will take impressions of your teeth and send them to a lab. You’ll receive a night guard to begin wearing at night. It’s thickness will help protect your teeth from the pressure and force placed on them by grinding your teeth.
Guard Your Smile With Dr. Ania
If you want to help your teeth out with investing in a mouthguard for sports or for sleep, call us. Getting a custom-fitted mouthguard will help protect your smile from injury caused from a rough sports game or just too much clenching while you sleep. Make an appointment with Dr. Ania today to be on guard: (303)-872-9940.